HIRING PRO TIP: ERP Skills Training & Certification as Part of your Employee Compensation Package
Over the past 2 decades, DyNexus Recruiting has recruited, placed and hired hundreds of Acumatica, Sage, NetSuite and Microsoft Dynamics ERP consultants, salespeople and practice leaders for VARs, ISVs and end-user companies. In hiring ERP skilled employees, it’s rare when you can find a way to save money (i.e. pay a lower salary) AND increase the value of what you’re paying for (employee). One such way, however, is to provide opportunities for employee skills training and certification as part of the compensation plan.
Here’s the scenario . . .
- A prospective Acumatica ERP implementation consultant employee wants to be paid a salary of $100K.
- You want to offer $90K.
- There are skills that the candidate lacks (or is weak in), which if strengthened would make her more valuable to both employee and company.
So, here’s how you might do this . . .
- You offer a $90K salary, plus $10K towards an Acumatica ERP skills/certification training program, to be done on the employee’s own time. (You probably would provide training to a suitably motivated employee anyway.)
- $5K would be spent directly on the Acumatica training, scheduled to be completed in some certain time (e.g. 1 year).
- Upon completion of the training program, you provide a bonus (or salary increase) of the other $5K.
- You also make a title elevation upon completion.
- The employee gets the opportunity to elevate herself and she feels grateful and appreciated.
- In the end, you’re saving on salary, and getting an appreciated and motivated employee.
Training is a tool, and can be used to great advantage. This is one way. For more thoughts about the value of training, take a look at this article on the benefits of investing in employee development. Salary negotiation can be challenging, but then again . . .
IF IT WAS EASY, CHILDREN WOULD BE DOING IT.